Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Feuds, By Avery Hastings

Title: Feuds 
Author:  Avery Hastings                  
Release: September 2, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Purchase:  Amazon / B&N 
For Davis Morrow, perfection is a daily reality. Like all Priors, Davis has spent her whole life primed to be smarter, stronger, and more graceful than the lowly Imperfects, or “Imps.” A fiercely ambitious ballerina, Davis is only a few weeks away from qualifying for the Olympiads and finally living up to her mother’s legacy when she meets Cole, a mysterious boy who leaves her with more questions each time he disappears.
Davis has no idea that Cole has his own agenda, or that he’s a rising star in the FEUDS, an underground fighting ring where Priors gamble on Imps. Cole has every reason to hate Davis—her father’s campaign hinges on the total segregation of the Imps and Priors—but despite his best efforts, Cole finds himself as drawn to Davis as she is to him.
Then Narxis, a deadly virus, takes its hold—and Davis’s friends start dying. When the Priors refuse to acknowledge the epidemic, Davis has no one to turn to but Cole. Falling in love was never part of their plan, but their love may be the only thing that can save her world...in Avery Hastings's Feuds.
A NETGALLEY REVIEW


My Thoughts

I was excited to read this book.  After reading the Synopsis, I was intrigued and optimistic that the story was going to be original and well written.  The dystopian setting and the hostility between the Priors and the Imps makes this book interesting to a wide variety of readers. This book has so much potential! However, after a few chapters I began to lose hope..... There are things that make this book disappointing, as well as, aspects that make this book good. So.... Lets get into the details.......

This book is to short. Period. The plot, characters, and setting are underdeveloped.  The story moved so quickly that I was adding in my own interpretations and ideas into the story.  Don't get me wrong, this writing style works well for some books, but not this one.  I do feel that Feuds needed to be longer.  I wanted Davis and Cole to develop more.  I wanted to know more about their families, and the history of why the world is at its current state.  I feel the book is lacking in these details.   But, there is a positive for the story being short, it's to the point.  I got the minimum amount of details to keep the story progressing. Even though I feel the story could have been developed more, I still feel like I got what I was supposed to out of the book.  

This book also has alot of plot lines going on.  There are corrupt politicians, underground fighting, Olympiad trials, and a disease.  All of these are touched upon in the book, but i feel, are not developed well.  Please keep in mind that this is the first in a series.  There is a huge possibility that these lines will be developed.   

Bottom line is this;  This book for me had some issues, but the potential is so great that I will buy the book and buy any sequel.  Why will I do this you ask??? Because, I have attached myself to these characters and this story and I will see it through.  As should anyone who reads this!!  I would recommend this book to any age group.  I will purchase this book, but I will wait till it comes out in paperback.  

2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment